Friday, December 14, 2012

Hats Off to National Champion Karen Dearth—Her Dynamite Story

Meet Karen Dearth, US National Arabian and Half Arabian Champion
Interview by Erin Evarts, Dynamite's tonnage coordinator.* 

Photo Compliments of Julie Daniel Adams


Karen competed in the National Arabian and Half-Arabian Championship Horse Show that was held October 19-27, 2012 at Expo Square in Tulsa, OK.


“This was the first time I have ever competed on Clarisse. We had this connection, this energy. It was her. I just guided her a little bit. What’s remarkable is I didn’t even begin riding her until the beginning of September. Clarisse is very special. She gave her all at that show and she deserved those red roses."Long time distributors Karen and Gary Dearth are no strangers to breeding and training winning horses. Their facility, Pine Ridge Arabians, sits on 10-acres at the north end of Corrales, NM. Gary’s father, Paul Dearth, started the business in 1979. Paul manages the farm, his wife runs the office and Gary trains the horses. They currently have about 55 – 60 horses at the facility, but there were over 100 horses on the property when Karen met Gary. She recently competed in the National Arabian & Half-Arabian Championship Horse Show in October at Expo Square in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Karen competed on several horses throughout the competition, but won with Clarisse.  
 
Karen shared the remarkable story of how Clarisse would not be here had it not been for Gary making a critical decision a few years ago. Their stallion, and the sire of Clarisse, SJ Mikhail, broke his leg while lunging during an event. Gary transported the horse by trailer 8 hours to CU and was repeatedly told he would need to put the horse down. He refused. Clarisse holds a very special place in their hearts. Karen sat down with us and shared how Dynamite has so long been a part of her life. 


Dynamite: It appears you competed in seven classes on different horses in this event. Was it your performance with Clarisse in the Arabian Western Pleasure AAOTR 36 – 54 class that won the championship?
Karen: Yes. I finished in the top 10 in four events and on three different horses but won with Clarisse.

Photo Compliments of Julie Daniel Adams

D: How many participants were in that class? 
K: There were 28.

D: When did you get started with horses?

K: Oh gosh, I think my first word was horse. You know, maybe it was the rocking horse. My family didn’t have horses. I grew up in the Sarasota, FL area. My Dad was a doctor and my mother worked in the home. I had my first riding lesson at 4 years old. I got my first horse at 9, my first Arabian at 13 and another one at 16. When I went off to college I sold them. There was about 10 years where I didn’t have horses. I met Gary in 1988 and got back in the showing ring. I won my first Championship in 1994 on Cerisse, Clarisse’s mother. Everyone called Cerisse the “Western Pleasure Goddess.”



D: Do you show any other breed besides Arabians?

K: Just Arabians. We prefer Polish bred Arabians. They are more athletic.

D: What has been your most memorable moment with Arabian horses?

K: This was my most memorable moment!  I remember every step of that event. It was like Clarisse was on auto pilot. That is what everybody was saying. This was the first time I have ever competed on Clarisse. We had this connection, this energy. It was her. I just guided her a little bit. What’s remarkable is I didn’t even begin riding her until the beginning of September. Clarisse is very special. She gave her all at that show and she deserved those red roses. 

D: How did you get started with Dynamite?

K: About 30 years ago, Gary bought a horse from Judy Sinner and then became one of Judy’s first sponsored downline. 
Photo Compliments of Julie Daniel Adams

D: How do you feel Dynamite has made a difference in your horses? In you?
K: Clarisse is a 3rd generation Dynamite horse... Cerisse's mother was on it too! Their coats are beautiful and shiny. We give Free & Easy to them and ourselves. We can’t survive without Free & Easy. Depending on the hay we give either 2:1 or 1:1, Dyna Pro, and Release. We both use the Miracle Clay for our stomach.  At the show I had a little clear water bottle with my clay water in it. I just sipped on it throughout the day. I was so nervous. I wanted to make sure everything was ok. I also use 180. I have been on and off of it for 2 years. I needed to get a little off for the shirt I wore to the event. I lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks and I kept it off. 

The winning doesn’t stop with Karen and Gary; in fact it runs in the family! Their 15 year old daughter, Kristin, has won four Youth National Arabian championships, along with eight reserve national championships. In 2011 she showed four horses and won one national championship and three reserve championships at the State Fairgrounds. Her favorite horse is a half-Arabian gelding named Amplifire, bred and trained at Pine Ridge Arabians.


*Erin grew up around horses and spent many weekends at cutting events. She rode western through high school and her family had quarter horses and now Andalusians. For years her Dad was very involved in NRCHA and trained with Ted Robinson, a world champion cow horse trainer in Ojai, CA.